How we can make interesting kids diet(Toddler) with Indian spices.
We all know that herbs and spices not only add flavour to food but also help build our baby’s immunity and keep them away from infections .
With all these Herbs our baby's food has other benefits too. If you want our child to be open to different kind of flavors, it is important to introduce the little one to a variety of preparations. (I know its tedious but let’s try)Which way to do this to add a small amount of different spices to baby's food every day? everyone don’t want a fussy eater at home, providing a variety in taste as early as possible is a good idea.
However, table salt should be avoided until the child turns one. This is because the sodium needs in infants are very less and breast milk provides them the adequate amount. That does not mean baby food should be bland and boring. We have so many natural flavoring agents in our traditional herbs and spices, which can take baby’s food to a different level.
Add only small amounts to make sure your baby takes it well. Too much spice could be harmful. Each child may react in a different way to different ingredients. Some of these could be strong for some babies than for others. Be prepared, many chances are that baby may reject the flavored foods, the first few times. Don’t get disappointed and try out different preparations and combinations of ingredients. It will help you understand what suits baby and help the little one accept the new taste faster.
We can start with some mild, aromatic herbs and spices for the baby. we can start with commonly used in indian home. we can introduce these once our baby starts solid food — at around 8–9 months and some herbs good to apply in their massage oil too. first check their allergy test please to get good and effective results.. Here is a list of herbs and spices we recommend to add to our baby's different foods:
2. Carom seed
3. Cumin seed
4. Coriander seed
8. Black pepper
9. Sesame seed
12. Mint leaves
13. Fennel seeds and others.
1. Turmeric : It is most effective in Indian kitchen ,we can use turmeric from starting for cold and cough, any infections. it works as a anti-inflammatory and antiseptic to his body and release toxins..give some warmness to his body. we can use it in a oils massage, a tiny pinch in a milk ,honey. We use it for the color and flavor, as well as for its medicinal value. the good old ritual to give turmeric milk as a bedtime drink for the child.
2. Carom seeds /Ajwain : it is the most powerful medicine for gastric trouble for the baby, like as in seed water, Khichdi, Daliya,Besan Chilla, Paranthas and etc ..we should use it in pinch with Jaggery ,boil it with water and use a pinch of it. Roasted and powdered carom seeds can be added to baby food. It helps in the treatment of cold and cough, eases digestion and colic pain. One more thing we can use it as a vapor rub with its aroma for specially newborns ..(roast it make it a small packet and place it near baby’s nose..it soothes his nose.)
3. Cumin seed/Jeera: Cumin is commonly used in most Indian recipes, either as whole seeds in the tempering or in powdered form. This spice promotes digestion and reduces the risk of food-borne illnesses. Cumin has anti-microbial and antibiotic properties. Add a pinch of cumin powder to your baby’s porridge, dal or khichdi. It helps to promote appetite..use it in tadka with ghee in any vegetable curry or with curd, buttermilk, soup etc. It has good aromatic flavours to our food.
4. Coriander seed or leaves/Dhaniya : we can use coriander as the first leafy greens your baby tastes. Start by adding a teaspoonful of freshly chopped coriander into baby food; it works good and aromatic taste in almost each dish. Fresh coriander is an appetite stimulant and prevents food poisoning. Its good blood purification as in powder form too.
5. Asafetida(hing): Hing or asafetida helps relieve stomach issues like colic in babies. A pinch of this wonderful spice can do magical effects to baby’s tummy . It will give a unique flavor to the food and also help your child digest it better. Hing reduces flatulence and helps in the treatment of respiratory problems. We can also apply to baby’s navel to release colic pain mixing with water.
6. Garlic: We can use finely chopped or grated garlic for tempering baby foods like khichdi and dal or curry. Garlic keeps the common cold away from our baby , boosts immunity and helps in getting rid of harmful intestinal worms. Garlic gives an aroma to the dish, Most of the babies enjoy after they get used to it. We can also use it as in massage oil to the chest and back to prevent cold in babies.
7. Ginger: Ginger has strong in aroma and taste so try to use it in a very little quantity for the babies. It taste good in chila, dhokla, khichdi
or pulses, grated ginger in it. Please try to
use fresh ginger paste. It helps reduce flatulence or gas and associated
stomach pain — a common issue in babies. Ginger also
reduces nausea and motion sickness. It is also recommended to
alleviate dry cough.
8. Black pepper: A tiny pinch of black pepper powder in every snacks like roasted potatoes can improve the bland taste, without the need for salt. It helps improve overall digestion by producing more digestive juices in the body. Ensure that pepper is added in a very little amount , it should not be hot (spicy) for your child.
9. Sesame seed / Til : It is a rich source of calcium for their bones and overall health..we can grind it and use it in any preparations to make it more nutritious..however grinding makes it dull in taste but use it little as it has hot potency..Good for urination, digestion and overall Growth.
10. Fenugreek( methi) seeds or leaves : We can use it in seasoning baby’s food with the strong bitter fenugreek .Try to use it as a fresh or dry leaves in parantha etc ..any preparations without making it bitter or do one thing . Take a strainer, put fenugreek seeds in it and pour hot oil through it to flavor your child’s bowl of veggies. Fenugreek is good for your baby’s digestion and helps prevent infections. It also promotes hair growth and keeps stomach healthy.
11. Cinnamon: Every sweet preparation becomes complete with a pinch of cinnamon. It is high in antioxidants, thus improving the immune system of your child. We can add the aromatic spice in powdered form to baked goodies(finger food) like cupcakes , pancakes and cookies etc .
12. Mint leaves/Pudina: Every curd or buttermilk has it compulsorily…to give good aroma and taste. we can use it fresh, or dry powder form in chutney for every snacks,paranthas,and curries. It boost immunity,digestion,appetite and interest(that’s important for mothers)in baby food.
13. Fennel Seed/Saunf: fennel seed is used for colic babies to give them relax from colic pain, we can use it sweet preparations and milk. It good for digestion, nutrition absorbtion and gives a good aromatic taste. Specially we are using it in a milk for toddlers to make it interesting.
14. Nutmeg, dry dates,tulsi,clove etc ..these are so strong and effective in digestion, making good taste ,helps to avoid common cough, cold and fever . Basically these have very hot potency but by using them wisely we can make good immunity guard from the Indian kitchen.
With all these , these are beautiful Indian herbs recepies are coomon inheritance for every Indian mother which can be used in baby’s food to make it more flavourful, healthy. Try to use it one at a time to introduce..them in baby food .they have innumerable health benefits. This also helps raise a happy, healthy, nourished child, who is open to trying out different foods…
Happy parenting, Keep experimenting.